Saturday 14 June 2008

World Wide Knit in Public Day 2008

People all over the world today have been knitting in public places... including the Swampy Ewe-Knitted girls! Hoorah!


We gathered around the clock tower in Sheerness today at 12pm with a little display and did our knitting. A few people came up and spoke to us but sadly no-one came along and joined us. We also thought that the local yarn shop missed an opportunity to promote itself because they could have displayed some of their wares. Oh well!


The local press came and took some photos of us so we'll see if we actually appear in next week's paper. I took some piccies myself as you can see and I'm hoping to send something to the knitting mags. Anything that points out we have a knitting club will help! Through speaking to a few people though it did mean that I'm now looking at organising a monthly Saturday evening meeting so that those who can't make our fortnightly lunch meetings can come along. So that'll be fun to sort out. See what happens when you talk to people!


The best thing was watching my mum teaching a 3 1/2 year old girl how to knit! She came over with her mum who told us how she'd tried to teach her because she had been asking to learn. She managed a row before the novelty wore off but it was so sweet to watch! And Mum was so patient with her! At least it proves that there are young'uns interested in these things if only people take the time to teach them! Good job we brought the spare needles and yarn!

If we do end up plastered across the local rag, I'll scan it and post it up on here - got to enjoy my 5 minutes of fame! lol

No comments:



About Me

My photo
I'm a stay at home mum (yes it IS a non-profit industry - I've never had a penny for doing it and I don't know any mums who have!) to Aston who's 2 years old. I have 2 pet rabbits - Malcolm and Jimmy. I'm seperated from my husband and now live back in my hometown of Sheerness, Isle of Sheppey, Kent UK. I have also lived in London and West Sussex so I've knocked about the South East of England a bit! I'm a pagan and am inspired by natural things and love anything that's not been tampered with too much. I love watching rugby and football and my fave teams are Bath Rugby (cuz Matt Stevens plays for them! lol) and Fulham FC.